Thursday, January 26, 2012

POOL OF RADIANCE: ON HOLD

Since my last posting, I've been pretty busy.  I've tried to play Pool of Radiance a few times, but I'm honestly not feeling the game at all.  I think it's because I just beat the game a few months ago (like back in October), and the thought of trudging through familiar territory again so soon fills me with serious dread.

I think what I'd rather do is play the Krynn series instead, starting with Champions of Krynn, working through Death Knights of Krynn, and then heading into Dark Queen of Krynn.  I want to do that because blogs about Pool of Radiance have been done to death anyway, but I rarely see blogs about those games.

Also, the only Gold-Box game I have never solved is Dark Queen of Krynn.  My version had a bug in it that made it impossible to win, so I only ever got about halfway through the game on my initial play through.  Additionally, I have never tried to make the run with the same party (since I always played the games when they were released, and years passed between them...so I always lost my disks that had my save games in the meantime...not really an issue with hard drives).

So, if any of you are out there reading this blog, I hope you'll stick around as I shift gears.  The blog is still in its baby steps age, and I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I want to approach things.  I'll be glad to hear any suggestions.

4 comments:

  1. I've heard mixed reviews about the DragonLance games. I am an avid reader of the DragonLance novels myself (I've read over 60 of them), so I was a bit disappointed that they weren't well received. I am interested in seeing your take on them. My suggestion? Play whatever you want. Just like in Let's Plays, if you're playing through a game you enjoy, it'll show in your work, whether spoken or written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dragonlance/krynn series was very good as far as I remember on the Amiga.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PetrusOctavianus3/23/12, 5:17 PM

    In my opinion the Dragonlance games are the best of the bunch.

    More options and variety: Kender's Taunt ability, three different schools of magic, Clerics gaining powers from specific deitites, Dragonlances, Draconians, and not least - much more sensible level caps for non-humans.

    Champions of Krynn was a bit weak when it came to encounter design - too much "monsters attack!" and, directly contradicting the books, far too many evil elves as enemies.
    But Death Knights of Krynn and Dark Queen were nearly perfect, with a great variety of possible encounters.
    And after all combat and encounters is what the Gold Box games were about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is very simple to read and appreciate without leaving any details out. Great work! Hovuz mozaykaları

    ReplyDelete